The School counselors in the Harpeth Middle School Counseling Program believe:
- All students can acheive and meet high standards that will result in college and career success.
- Student developmental needs are best met by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program.
- School counselors must be leaders, advocates and collaborators who create equitable access to rigorous curriculum and opportunities for self-directed personal growth for every student.
- Student achievement is maximized by participation in a comprehensive school counseling program that is planned, managed, delivered, and evaluated by licensed professional school counselors.
- Data must be analyzed and translated into goals that guide the development of the comprhensive school counseling program promoting student achievement.
- Applying the American School Counselor Association Ethical Standards for School Counselors empoweres school counselors to make decisions based on the highest moral principles to promote the maximum development of every student.
The Harpeth Middle School’s Comprehensive School Counseling Program will provide support for all students by promoting and facilitating their academic, personal/social and career development as the students prepare for high school, college, and careers.
As the result of the implementation of the Harpeth Middle School’s Comprehensive School Counseling Program, all students will be academically prepared, well adjusted members of society, lifelong learners and productive citizens.
Glossary of Services
Consultation: Helping children develop to their fullest potential is best accomplished when people work together. For this reason, the counselor consults with teachers and parents to plan appropriate services for every child.
Group Counseling: In some instances, students help each other by working in small groups with leadership from a counselor.
Group Guidance: The school counselor meets with classes to help students learn specific information about themselves and their development.
Individual Counseling: The school counselor provides individual sessions for students to assist with a variety of educational and personal concerns.
The Benefits of the Counseling Program
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge, and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and across their life span.
- Students will complete school with the academic preparation essential to choose from a wide range of substantial post-secondary options, including college.
- Students will understand the relationship of academics to the world of work, and to life at home and in the community.
- Students will acquire the skills to investigate the world of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Students will understand the relationship between personal qualities, education and training, and the world of work.
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge, and interpersonal skills to help them understand and respect self and others.
- Students will make decisions, set goals, and take the necessary action to achieve goals.
- Students will understand safety and survival skills.